Dulles, VA / Baltimore MD
18 Months plus possible extension or perm
Our client, a database service provider organization, implements strategic solutions for their business partners. They focus on data management and support for internal and external customer-facing applications.
They specialize in OLTP, Data Warehouse, and Big data technologies, both on-prem as well as in the cloud.
As a Database Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work with multiple database platforms that power Data warehouse, Data Lake, and OLTP and Analytics systems both on-prem as well in the cloud.
You will work with a distributed team of DBE's to manage and support key Enterprise database systems that provide critical data processing services to internal and client-facing business applications and services.
You will be required to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that these database platforms are highly available, optimally configured, and efficiently managed. This is an extremely challenging role that demands strong technical leadership, communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Manage databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to production systems in both on-prem (OpenStack, bare metal) and AWS environments.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Perform database design, run database benchmarks, and conduct proof of concept exercises.
- Analyze, solve, and correct issues in real-time, providing end-to-end problem resolution.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Plan, build, deploy, and maintain enterprise OLTP and OLAP based EDW platforms and services. This includes proactive monitoring and tracking, and relevant data analysis and reporting.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting, and root-cause analysis of database related issues in support of critical day-to-day business operations.
- Responsible for establishing and enforcing consistent database standards, access protocols, profiling and benchmarking, and development, execution, and measurement of effective service level agreements.
- Responsible for database capacity planning and efficient utilization of database resources based on performance, growth, and utilization trends.
- Responsible for ensuring high-availability (>99.0%) of critical database systems and services and development, implementation, and testing of failover and recovery plans for all critical database systems.
- Participates in the setting of objectives, strategies, plans, programs, performance standards/measures and procedures, as a member of the IT leadership team.
- Participate in on-call support including but not limited to weekends, holidays, and after business hours as required to service the needs of the business.
- Develop and implement plans for database consolidation where needed.
- Work with end-users for special requests and new setups.
- At least 4 years of experience managing one or more of the following data warehouse platforms (Vertica, Google Big Query, Redshift, Snowflake, Druid) and OLTP (Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB).
- Solid working knowledge of database architecture (column orientation, compression, projections, segmentations, partitions, high availability and recovery, security).
- Prior experience demonstrated thorough knowledge and progressively responsible experience in the implementation and maintenance of large-scale OLTP, OLAP, and data warehouse systems.
- Experience with AWS technical essentials such as RDS, EC2, S3, security, and networking.
- Proficient with shell scripting and/or a programming language such as Ruby or Python in order to automate cloud infrastructure tasks.
- Experience with DevOps Orchestration/Configuration Management technologies such as Chef, Puppet, Docker, Jenkins, Ansible, JIRA, Github.
- Strong working knowledge of basic system administration on Linux.
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with backups, restores, and recovery models.
Excellent interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
Knowledge of formal information security standards and best practices, including database system hardening, identity management, and database access controls.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to track and report progress against established milestones, metrics, and deliverables.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with strong customer service orientation.
- Positive attitude, ability to work in a team and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment and willing to learn other database technologies.
- AWS and/or Vertica certification is a plus.
No Sub-Contract, Third Parties or Corp to Corp arrangements! W2 only!
Note: U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship will be considered. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Send resume to Jobs@staffinghq.com
Follow us on LinkedIn for job updates. https://www.linkedin.com/company/staffing-headquarters